hxxp://zodiac-game.info/pager.html features a content written in Russian. The webpage hijacks browsers with its trojan. The latter makes its way into computer systems without distinguishing between geographical locations. Most of the victims do not speak Russian as the trojan spreads more or less evenly worldwide. It is quite common in the EU and the USA.
The page does not disclose the identity of its holders. Its Contact Us only enquires for the name of the user. The anonymity enables the hackers to abuse the web-traffic running through the URL in every possible way. They may deliver extra ads, insert malicious code etc. Beware any links the website redirects to are very likely to launch a viral invasion. Removal of Zodiac-game.info (http://zodiac-game.info/pager.html) redirect is critical for meaningful and safe browsing.
The redirect is very similar to another one: hxxp://kb-ribaki.org.In fact, the same trojan may arrange forced visits to both of them.
The introduction of the hijacker employs a number of infection vectors. Odds are that the hijacker is made available for distribution on affiliate terms. A successful propagation campaign would generate revenue to the droppers.
A typical infecting workflow starts with the user’s decision to install a third party content. Be it a harmless add-on for your browser or a computer game, there is a wizard running online to serve the installation. It would generate a sequence of interactive tabs. Users tend to complete the routine as soon as possible. That is to say, they hardly catch on anything. One of the clicks actually certifies their agreement for installing Zodiac-game.info.
Zodiac-game.info russian web-site
Other infection vectors resort to spamming and social engineering. Again, the actors spreading the redirect plague are quite a few. The above examples of propagation tactics are not exhausting.
Upon completing the installation, the adware initiates a communication with the remote server. It sends basic information on the machine compromised. Browser hijacking follows as the invader modifies its settings. The changes ensure redirects to the above URL in a new tab, start page and other browsing points.
To get rid of Zodiac-game.info redirect trojan, proceed with the steps outlined below.
Remove Zodiac-game.info with automatic antimalware tool
Highly thorough cleaning of the infected system can be carried out using powerful security software whose up-to-date virus definitions and heuristics allow detecting the threat in a matter of minutes and eradicating all of its components from the computer. So follow the steps listed to apply the fix.
1. Click the button to download the stub installer and go through several setup dialogs. Once the tool is up and running, click Start Computer Scan
2. Wail until the cleaner checks the PC for malicious code. As soon as the scan is completed, the report will list all malware objects spotted in the system. Make sure the entries for detected infections are checked, and select the Fix Threats feature. This will result in malware removal and system remediation, so you should now be good to go.
Use Control Panel feature to uninstall Zodiac-game.info
- Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel. Depending on the operating system version, pick the Add or Remove Programs or Uninstall a program feature
- Go ahead and look for malicious programs on the list, in particular Zodiac-game.info or other entries for recently installed software (suspicious browser add-ons, file downloaders, media players, codecs and the like). Right-click on the potentially malicious object and select Uninstall/Change as shown
Zodiac-game.info manual removal from different browsers
Get rid of Zodiac-game adware in Google Chrome
Uninstall aggressive add-on
- Expand the Chrome menu by clicking on respective icon and go to More Tools – Extensions
- Spot the malicious web service enhancement on the interface and send it to the trash
Modify startup page settings
- Select Settings in the Chrome menu list
- Find the part titled On startup, select the Open a specific page or set of pages feature and click Set pages as shown
- Once the entry corresponding to the adware is found, click X to eradicate it
Toggle search preferences
- While on the Settings page, also go to Search section, pick the right default provider on the list and save the changes
Remove Zodiac-game in Mozilla Firefox
Remove unruly add-on
- Select Add-ons in the Firefox menu
- In the left-hand pane of the page select Extensions, find the add-on corresponding to the adware and click Remove to uninstall it
Restore preferred Firefox homepage
- Select Options on the Firefox menu list
- Under the General tab, click Restore to Default button or enter the desired URL in the Home Page field
Configure search preferences
- Hit the Search tab on the same screen. Alternatively, you can click the reading glass icon embedded in the Firefox search area and select Change Search Settings
- Go ahead and select the search provider you prefer to use by default and click OK to save the changes
Uninstall Zodiac-game.info adware in Internet Explorer
Get rid of the intrusive extension
- Select Manage add-ons from Tools menu
- Click Search Providers entry in the left-hand part of the page, find the malicious one and Remove it
Restore your normal IE homepage
- Select Internet options under Tools
- Under the General tab, click Use default or enter any other start page value you wish. Stay on this screen and proceed to next step
Reconfigure tabs behavior
- Select the Tabs feature under General to open the Tabbed Browsing Settings interface
- Pick one of the following options: Your first home page or A blank page
Run an extra check for Zodiac-game.info infection
For the sake of confidence that the adware has been completely removed, do not neglect the option of repeatedly scanning your system for the associated unwanted files.