Chromesearch.today is a comprehensive advertising issue.
Oddly enough, the website’s main page says it is going to ‘respect your privacy’. In the wild, the page features a large-scale campaign that promotes it as a landing page for online and device-hosted redirects, as well as push ads related to Chromesearch.today.
You may also stumble upon a toolbar related to the above URL. Last but not least, the page has nothing to do with genuine Google Chrome products; get rid of Chromesearch.today if you experience one or more of the above.
Again, the issue is of complex nature. For instance, the invasion hacks browser preferences such as start page, new tab. In general, the adware attempts to hack as many options as possible. So far, however, reports reveal it becomes a home-page for Internet Explorer, a new tab for Chrome and Mozilla. Besides, it may add an unauthorized toolbar, but that depends on your PC and Internet settings. Chromesearch.today also displays classic adware functionality inserting its ads on third-party websites and may turn icons on your desktop into misleading shortcuts. That is, instead of opening the content they relate to those would resolve to another redirect to the ads by Chromesearch.today.
The adware tries to be legitimate and fair. For that purpose, the page displays links to Gmail and other Google features. It thus kind of persuades us that Chromesearch.today is but a spin-off of the genuine Chrome.
To this end, the adware comes bundled with other risks. The removal of Chromesearch.today is obvious enough, for the adware is a badly annoying threat. It is on the surface. To reveal and eliminate other infections that might be totally hidden from a naked eye, as well as to get rid of Chromesearch.today, proceed with the comprehensive guide below.
Remove Chromesearch.today with automatic antimalware tool
Highly thorough cleaning of the infected system can be carried out using powerful security software whose up-to-date virus definitions and heuristics allow detecting the threat in a matter of minutes and eradicating all of its components from the computer. So follow the steps listed to apply the fix.
1. Click the button to download the stub installer and go through several setup dialogs. Once the tool is up and running, click Start Computer Scan
2. Wail until the cleaner checks the PC for malicious code. As soon as the scan is completed, the report will list all malware objects spotted in the system. Make sure the entries for detected infections are checked, and select the Fix Threats feature. This will result in malware removal and system remediation, so you should now be good to go.
Use Control Panel feature to uninstall Chromesearch.today
- Click the Windows Start button and select Control Panel. Depending on the operating system version, pick the Add or Remove Programs or Uninstall a program feature
- Go ahead and look for malicious programs on the list, in particular Fast Search, Cleanserp, AmuleC, Seacth Bar, FastWebSearch or other entries for recently installed software (suspicious browser add-ons, file downloaders, media players, codecs and the like). Right-click on the potentially malicious object and select Uninstall/Change as shown
Chromesearch.today manual removal from different browsers
Get rid of Chromesearch.today adware in Google Chrome
Uninstall aggressive add-on
- Expand the Chrome menu by clicking on respective icon and go to More Tools – Extensions
- Spot the malicious web service enhancement on the interface and send it to the trash
Modify startup page settings
- Select Settings in the Chrome menu list
- Find the part titled On startup, select the Open a specific page or set of pages feature and click Set pages as shown
- Once the entry corresponding to the adware is found, click X to eradicate it
Toggle search preferences
- While on the Settings page, also go to Search section, pick the right default provider on the list and save the changes
Remove Chromesearch.today in Mozilla Firefox
Remove unruly add-on
- Select Add-ons in the Firefox menu
- In the left-hand pane of the page select Extensions, find the add-on corresponding to the adware and click Remove to uninstall it
Restore preferred Firefox homepage
- Select Options on the Firefox menu list
- Under the General tab, click Restore to Default button or enter the desired URL in the Home Page field
Configure search preferences
- Hit the Search tab on the same screen. Alternatively, you can click the reading glass icon embedded in the Firefox search area and select Change Search Settings
- Go ahead and select the search provider you prefer to use by default and click OK to save the changes
Uninstall Chromesearch.today browser redirect in Internet Explorer
Get rid of the intrusive extension
- Select Manage add-ons from Tools menu
- Click Search Providers entry in the left-hand part of the page, find the malicious one and Remove it
Restore your normal IE homepage
- Select Internet options under Tools
- Under the General tab, click Use default or enter any other start page value you wish. Stay on this screen and proceed to next step
Reconfigure tabs behavior
- Select the Tabs feature under General to open the Tabbed Browsing Settings interface
- Pick one of the following options: Your first home page or A blank page
Run an extra check for Chromesearch.today infection
For the sake of confidence that the adware has been completely removed, do not neglect the option of repeatedly scanning your system for the associated unwanted files.